How to Start Mud Crab Farming Guide for Beginners in India
Most of us do not know What is Mud Crab Farming and What are Mud Crabs. No worries, we will let you clear all your doubts over here. Mud Crabs belongs to the genus Scylla. They are also known as Mangrove or green Crabs. In many Asian countries, Crab Industry constitutes a conventional system of Aquaculture. Since 1980’s, there is a lot of Economic importance for Mud Crabs as there is the beginning of exporting Crabs to many South East Asian regions. Mud Crab Farming has brought a lot of changes in the Commercial Aquaculture farming Ecosystem. With the commencement of Permitting exports of Mud Crabs from India lead to the huge scale farming of Mud Crabs.
Commercial Mud Crab Farming is a hugely profitable business. It is one the Aquaculture Businesses that gains high Incomes. Mud Crab Framing is going on in many regions of the World. In India, Commercial Mud Crab Farming is done for exporting. there is a great export value for Mud Crabs from India. However, Exporting of Mud Crabs is done in three popular ways viz., Stuffed Crab, Live Crab and Frozen Crab Exporting.
There are mainly two species of Mud Crabs that are useful for Commercial Mud Crab Farming In India. They are Scylla serrata and Scylla tanquebarica. Those species usually grows in a habitat of Sea water or brackish water which has either sandy or silty bottom in the Waterbody.
Procedure Of Commercial Crab Farming
Commercial Crab Farming involves Crab Flattening. That is the basic pattern of Mud Crab Farming. They remain as water fishes or post moult for a period of about 18 to 20 days. Until the immature Female Crabs or Fleshy Crabs. In that period, the Crabs Gonads develops and fill the Mantle Cavity region of the Mud Crabs. This is the Most Popular Crab Farming Procedure in many Asian countries.There is great demand for Gravid Female Mud Crabs. In addition, there is also a huge demand for Hard Shell Crabs in Hotels or Restaurants that serve Crabs. Commercial Crab Fattening Farming is done in the many States of India. States like TamilNadu, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka, Orissa and some Coastal regions of the country do Commercial Mud Crab Fattening Farming.
Mud Crab Information
- Mud Crabs grow up to a size of 20 to 25 centimetres. They weigh up to 2 kg. Crabs can also grow large size.
- They feed on Prawns or shrimps. they also feed on small Fishes and Molluscs with bivalves.
- At maturity, female Mud Crabs attain a size of 10 to 14 centimetre at maturity.
- Scylla serrata and Scylla tanquebarica are good breeders. However, the season for breeding varies from region to region.
- Spawning of Crabs takes place in 50 to 60 days of time intervals.
- Scylla serrata carries 0.4 to 0.7 million Eggs and Scylla tanquebarica carries for about 1 to 6.5 million Eggs.
Many of the Farmers and Individuals have doubts like Where to Buy Mud Crab Seed and How Crab Fattening is done. To do Commercial Mud Crab Farming in India, one can get the Crab Seed from the Crab Hatcheries that are located at Central Marine Fisheries. stocking Soft Sheel Crabs in a small water body for 27 to 30 days makes the Shells harden.
Commercial Mud Crab Farming Guide Business
Soil Requirement for Mud Crab Fattening Farming
- Soil quality has an important and major role in Commercial Mud Crab Farming. For Mud Crab Farming, both Sandy and Clay Soils are suitable.
- However, sandy soils are better to gain huge margin in Mud Crab Farming. Sandy soils don’t allow for burrowing.
Water Requirement for Mud Crab Farming
- Supply adequate water to the Crab Pond. Change the water regular intervals of time.
- However, Brackish water suits good for Mud Crab Farming.
- Water must have 8 to 8.5 pH.
- 21ºC to 29ºC of temperature.
- Maintain 11 to 34 ppt of water Salinity.
- Oxygen of 3ppm is to maintain in the Water Pond of Mud Crabs.
Size of Mud Crab Farm
- It varies that depends on the investment. Better go for 1 Acre Mud Crab Farm.
- Maintain water depth in the pond 5 meters and Bund width of 3 feet.
- In order to avoid Crab Jumping, construct a 1-meter height Fencing.
- Using bamboo, asbestos or any Natural fencing methods.
- Mud crabs have the unique feature of cannibalistic.
Water Supply in Mud Crab Flattening
- Supply Water in tides using gates. Normally fit the sluice gates to Bamboo rows. So that it avoids the escape Mud Crabs from the pond.
- You can also supply Sea Water too.
Management of Water Pond
- Avoid draining in the Mud Crab Farm. Allow supplying at high tides.
- If you supply SeaWater, the Pump at height of 5 feets.
Stocking And Feeding in Mud Crab Farming Guide
- Supply Shells of Soft Mud Crabs of 8 cm size. Stock Crabs of greater than 500gm. Maintain a Stocking density of 1sq.mt per Single Mud Crab.
- Feed the Crabs with Prawns and small fishes with additional additive feed supplements.
- Feed Crabs with Food weighing 10% of Crab Body weight and change in every 25 days.
Harvesting in Commercial Mud Crab Farming Guide
- After the hardening of Mud Crab Shell forgot for harvesting. Collect the Crabs at a time with collecting running water.
- Use either scoop nets or ring nets having baits to collect the Mud Crabs from the water pond.
- HArvesting is done in the morning time or in the late evening hours. This prevents the death of crabs in the water that overheats in the noon.
- On an average, Mud Crab Fattening procedure is done 9 to 10 cycles of the collection in a year or per annum from the Mud Crab Water Pond.
Income Returns in Commercial Mud Crab Farming
- From 1 acre of Mud Crab Farm, you can get around 1300 to 1500 kg of Mud Crab.
- Price of Mud Crabs in the overseas Market is around Rs.350 to Rs.400 /kg.
- Therefore, you can get an income of Rs.6,00,000 from 1 Acre Mud Crab Farm.
- However, the Income returns in Mud Crab Farming depends on the Size of the Water pond and care and management in Commercial Mud Crab Farm.
Marketing of Mud Crabs
- There is a great demand for Mud Crabs in many foreign countries. It means there is great export value for Mud Crabs.
- You can also contact Mud Crab Marketing Agents or one can also consult with the Central Marine Fisheries.
Loans and Subsidies for Commercial Mud Crab Farming
- As we compare with other Livestock and agriFarming Businesses, there is comparatively less number of Loans and Subsidies that are available for Commercial mud Crab Farming business.
- Contact the nearest Regional rural banks or NABARD for more information on subsidies in Mud Crab Farming.
- There is also some Private Institution that comes up for providing Loans to Start Commercial Mud Crab farming Business.
This is the Brief on How to Start Commercial Mud Crab Farming Guide for Business in India. Contact us to know more about How to Start Commercial Mud Crab Farming Guide in India.